- Tour Styles
Saigon or Ho Chi Minh city is the biggest city in Vietnam. However, you can join Saigon tours for half day to most interesting places such as city centre, China town, Cu Chi tunnels..... or you can customise your Saigon tour package for over one week with amazing lush Mekong delta for exotic cultures of water ways.
Unbeliveable, amazing experience on the life of local pepole in Mekong river Vietnam is what tourists say after their trip to Mekong delta. You can join from one day trip to two, three day or even more.
Discover one of the most typical Asian city with enchanting French colonial architecture such as the Reunification palace, Mail post office, the church. besides, you also see real Asian life in China town with its colorful pagodas. For more details, please visit: Saigon City Tour 1 Day
Amazing South Vietnam Tours 4 days/3 nights with a perfect combination of typical Asian city life and countryside discovery. It includes the Reunification palace, wonderful architecture of the Mail post building, China town with its colorful pagodas, amazing tunnels in Cu Chi. Best of all Saigon tours is Mekong Waterlife. Click the video to see how our client enjoyed South Vietnam tour with us.
A/ Saigon Travel Guide
- Area: 2095,06 Km2
- Population: 8 136 300(Registered) - Without registeration upto 14 000 000 people
- Weather: No hot or no cold - Everage 22Co. Near the equator. 2 seasons: Rainy season from May to Nov and dry season from Dec to April.
A/ History of Saigon
Saigon is a young city of Vietnam with 320 year old(upto year 2018)
- In 17th century, Saigon was a deserted area with very few people. Most of the local people was Khmer people and some Vietnamese people.
- In 1623, the Nguyen lord of Dai Viet(Vietnam) set up the tax-collection station wtih the agreement of the Chan Lap King as there were many boats travelling through this area to Cambodia and Thailand for trading.
- 1679 The Nguyen Lord's soldiers stayed in this land. In this year, the Nguyen Lord allowed 3000 Chinese people who supported the Minh dynasty and they were chased by the Thanh Dynasty in China.
- 1698 is considered to be the birthday of Saigon with 10 000 people. Nguyen Huu Canh was the leader of Saigon at that time.
- In 1802, Nguyen Anh became the King of Vietnam. He chose Hue to be the capital and Saigon became the main city in the south of Vietnam. In 1819 Saigon's population is 60.000 people.
- IN May 1859, the French controled Saigon
- On 11-4-1861, the French Set up Saigon city for 500.000 people.
- On 26 - 10 - 1955, South Vietnam goverment was set up with the President Ngo Dinh Diem up to 2 Nov 1963 (followed by Nguyen Van Thieu from 1 Sep 1967 to 21 April 1975, Then Tran Van Huong president from 21 April 1975 to 28 April 1975 - 7days, Next Duong Van Minh president from 28/4/1975-30/4/1975)
- 30 April 1975 Saigon was liberated and unified into Vietnam.
- 1976 Saigon was changed into Ho Chi Minh city according the 1st president of Vietnam, but we still call both names.
2/ Saigon or Ho Chi Minh city nowadays
With 320 year old, Saigon is the most busy and biggest centre of economy, trading with foriegn countries. Saigon city has international airport, train station, trading port with Asian countries and the western countries. Saigon is also the most industrial city of Vietnam with the highest population density of Vietnam - 14 million.
Sài Gòn has 22 districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, Phú Nhuận, Bình Thạnh, Gò Vấp, Tân Bình, Thủ Đức. And suburb districts: Hóc Môn, Củ Chi, Bình Chánh, Nhà Bè, Cần Giờ. Saigon is 2096Km2, so bigger than London, New York, Hong Kong.
1/ Nha Tho Duc Ba Saigon - Saigon Notre-Dame Cathedral
- Located in Paris Square
- Designed by Bourard - French architect
- Started the contruction on 7 Oct 1877
- Finished on 11 April 1880
- Costed 2.5 Million Franc to build
- 93 m long, 35 m wide, 21m tall
- The foundation of the church can hold 10 time of the weight of the church
- Can hold 1200 people
- All contruction materials were carried from France
- 1895(15 year later) two bell towers were build: 57m tall
- 6 bells casted in France and weighted 27 tons.
- The statue of 8m tall - mother of peace carved in Italy and moved in Saigon in 1959
2/ Saigon Post Office
- Located in No 2 Paris Square.
- Built in 1886 and finished in 1891
- Designed by Villedieu, a French architect
- Architecture of European style with the decoration of Asian motif
- The post office has been operating since 1891 upto now
3/ Reunification Palace
- 1863 The French built a wooden palace here
- 1868 The French rebuilt this wooden palace by brick palace and it was finished in 1871. The French named this palace as Norodom palace.
- 1954 The French left Saigon and the South Goverment of Vietnam wes set up with the help of America. The President of the South Vietnam lived and worked in this palace. President Ngo Dinh Diem changed the name of the palace into the Reunification palace.
- 1962 the uprising party sent the airplane to drop the bomb and distroyed a big part of the palace. - 1963 President Ngo Dinh Diem decided to rebuild the palace. Vietnamese architect - Ngo Viet Thu was chosen to design the palace. While the palace was being built, Ngo Dinh Diem and his bother - Ngo Dinh Nhu were killed in 1963.
- 31th Oct 1967, the palace was finished. Nguyen Van Thieu President lived and worked here since Oct 1967 to 21st April 1975.
Some Features of the Palace
- Designed by Ngo Viet Thu -Vietnamese architect
- Built on 4500m2 with used area of 20 000m2
- 3 main levels and 2 underground floor.
- Top floor with the station for helicopter
- More than 100 rooms. Main rooms - State room where the most important evens happened such as the president got to power... Cabinet meeting room, Working room of the president, Working room of vice president, President's reception room, Vice President's reception room, banquet room, First Lady's reception room, Library room, Movie room, bed - living rooms for president family.....
- 26m tall
- Total area with the palace is 12ha
4/ War Remnants Museum
- Opening 4th Sep 1975
- 8 main topics to be displayed
- 1st room about the fact of history about the struggling of Vietnamese people again the French and Amerian from 1945 to 1975
- The memory of the war with many photos from 134 international reporters about the war against the French and Amerian is displayed in 4 rooms including the Agent Orange effect to Vietnamese people
5/ Ben Thanh Market
- Built in 1912 and completed in 1914
- In 1985 Ben Thanh market was mostly repaired
6/ Cu Chi Tunnels - a Village under ground
- During the war against the French( 1945 -1954), Viet Minh troops were hidden in underground shelters in the daytime. They were protected by the local people. The underground shelters were coverd with air circulation with outside so the French troops walked on the ground and could not find Viet Minh troops in the shelters. Night time, Viet Minh troops went out. The disadvantage of the underground shelters is that when the French troops discovered, the Viet Minh troops would be killed. Therefore, the local Vietnamese people thought they had to make the underground shelters longer and into the tunnels. When the French troops discovered the shelter, the Viet Minh troops could go to other places and disappeared. So Cu Chi tunnels were born.
- Cu Chi tunnels were first built in 1948 in 2 communes: Tan Phu Trung and Phuoc Vinh An. At first, the tunnels were simple to hide the documents, weapons and Viet Minh troops. Then, the tunnels were made longer and complicated to link to other communes.
- During the war against the American, the tunnels became so complicated and around 250km long. A lot of American troops were sent to Cu Chi district to fight, but the local people in Cu Chi and Vietnamese troops were safe undergroud. At that time, there were many villages underground with meeting rooms, sleeping rooms, movie rooms. The American troops were very afraid of this area as there were so many traps.
- Where the big amount of clay was kept when they created the tunnels: It was put in the bombed holes, put on the fields and planted rice, vegetables on the top.
- Cu Chi people were active to fight and created traps, mines to kill the American troops
The structure of Cu Chi tunnels: Main tunnel with many branches. Also linked to Saigon river, so the locals can go to the river and escape when necessary. 3 levels underground.
- 1st level: 3m deep. It is safe with tanks and artillery or cannons.
- 2nd level: 6m deep. It is safe with bombs
- 3rd level: 8m - 10m. It is very safe
- There are kinks in certain areas to privent the American troops from pouring water or poisonous gas into the tunnels
- air circulation holes with outside are disguised
- meeting rooms, sleeping rooms, movie rooms, kitchen, fighting room, storage rooms for food and weapons ....
- There are traps, mines around the gates into the tunnels
- Clinic underground for operations as well
- Children were born in the tunnels
The disadvantages of staying in the tunnels:
- No other choices, they had to stay in the tunnels to keep them safe.
- Over endurance/ sufferance of many local people.
- Lack of air
- So wet in rainy seasons
- no sunlight
- Sometimes insects and snakes came into the tunnels
- Many people came into and out of the tunnels, they had carefully not destroyed any grass, trees at the gates or the American troops would find them.
B/ Mekong Delta Travel Guide
- Location: In the southernmost of Vietnam
- Area: 40 548km2 - 13% of Vietnam
- Population: 18 million - 19% of Vietnam. The population of Mekong delta - Main is the Kinh people. Then, Khmer, Cham follow islam and Chinese people
- Provinces: Can Tho city and 12 provinces: Long An, Tiền Giang, Bến Tre, Vĩnh Long, Trà Vinh, Hậu Giang, Sóc Trăng, Đồng Tháp, An Giang, Kiên Giang, Bạc Liêu and Cà Mau.
The weather condition: Near the equator. A lot of rain and sun. Great for wet rice planting and food production
Rice-planting area occupies 47% of Vietnam, but produce 56% of Vietnam rice production and 95% of rice export of Vietnam
Seafood - raising area of 71% Vietnam. 54% seafood production of Vietnam. 60% seafood export of Vietnam. However, Very low income with average 2500 USD/person/year 2017.
Mekong delta in Vietnam was formed by the clay and sediment from Mekong river. Mekong river comes into Vietnam with 2 branches - Tien river and Hau river. Tien and Hau rivers meet the sea with 9 mouthes. So Vietnamese call the Mekong river Cuu Long river. According to the research in 1961, there was about 4000 billion m3 of water running to the sea. In 1999, there was 160 million ton of sediment and clay came into Vietnam, but 75 million ton of clay and sediment came into the sea in 2015.
However, the amount of water and clay decreased as the dams for hydro-power plans in China and Laos - China holds around 23 billion m3 of water and the lakes in the branches in other countries holds around 20 billion m3 of water. Near the nular new year, the need of electric comes down, the Chinese dams hold the water and ther is less water in Mekong river in Vietnam. This caused the drought and sea water came further in land in 2016 and effected 160 000 ha of rice and lost 800 000 tons of rice. 1.5 million people had no income for that time.
According the ministry of the environment, about 40% of Vietnam Mekong delta may be under the sea water because of Global warming. Besides this, because of the elnino, many parts of land near the sea got salty water from the sea. If 1m sea water increases, 20% of the Mekong delta will be in sea water. If 2m increases, half of the mekong delta will be in the sea water.
The industry sector does not develop in the Mekong delta. Mostly is food-prossessing sector. Can Tho city is the centre of the industry in Mekong delta
Services sector in Mekong delta is import and export, water transportation and tourism. Water transportation is the most important
C/ Can Tho City Travel Guide
- Area: 1.408,9 km²
- Population: 1.450.000( in 2017): Việt (Kinh), Khmer, Hoa, Chăm...
- A lot of rivers: Hậu, Cần Thơ, kênh Thốt Nốt, rạch Ô Môn... Creating 2 floating markets - Cairang, Phong Dien
- Weather: 2seasons: Rainy season from May - Nov and dry season from Dec to April. almost no storms. Average 27Co
- Main area of producing rice and exporting rice in Vietnam
- Can Tho is the main centre of economy and culture of Mekong delta with river port which can recieve ship of 10.000 tons and airport. Can Tho city is one of the 4 main cities under the goverment control - Hanoi, Danang, Saigon and Can Tho
- Can Tho city contributes about 12 % GDP of Vietnam
All contents by deluxevietnamtours.com, site by Anariel. All rights reserved.